Pages

THE FUNNY FARMER

THE FUNNY FARMER: An astonishingly boring, painful, humorous and occasionally insightful approach to gardening and life as amom, a former psychotherapist, and apparently a life-long patient.



Welcome!

My name is Cherie and I live in Southern Maine with my husband and two young children. I have a Master's Degree in Counseling Psychology and still have about 10k in remaining student loans to prove it. I left the field of practice three years ago, so this is not the place to be posting any suicide notes, okay? But if you want to hear about my garden and my gremlins, my pests and my problems, well then you just sit right down and read on!







Wednesday, May 12, 2010

My, But They Grow Up So Fast!

It has been time for my babies to visit the great outdoors and to see what else life has to offer them beyond these four walls.  They really seem to be happy with their visits.  For almost a week now, my 2yo and I have brought these darlings outside to get used to the elements before they are ready to go out on their own.  I guess they are adolescents now, preparing for adulthood in their own soil apartments.  Ready to really grow without my parental eyes. 

Now my mothering skills will be put to the test.  Did I germinate the seeds long enough before planting?  Did I give them enough time on the heating mat?  Did I let them become root-bound?   Have they had enough water?  Did I adequately expand their freedoms with gradually increasing pot sizes so that they didn't get top-heavy and topple?  If you look closely at the picture, you can see that the answer to the last question is "No, no always."  I have some re-potting to do tongiht. 

With record breaking warm days this spring, all green thumbs are itching to kick their babies out of the nest.  I have been addicted to weather.com's 10 day forecast.  hoping for a pattern of nites that don't drop below 45 degrees.  Right now all lights a green.  The night of the full moon is Day 10 and the forecast at this point is for 53 degrees that night.  Perhaps this weekend I will put them in?  I don't want to jump the gun, but I'm also getting pretty excited!

So with dramatic grunting sounds, Miss M carries her end of the trays and we do the schlep - in and out - every day.  Tomatoes, peppers, broccoli, broccoli, husk cherries, cucumbers, pumpkins, zucchini, patty pan squash, broccoli raab, brussels sprouts, and various flowers. 

Are you as excited as me to let our seedlings fly?



No comments: